25 August 2010
Hey, it’s a healthy eater! Her name is Kathleen, and she’d love a recipe for gluten-free pasta and will pass on the fake meat (but thanks for asking). Check out her profile to read more about her foodie style.
Kathleen hiking in Central California with a lemon-lime seltzer, her “absolute favorite thing to drink.”
- What’s your foodie style? I try to eat as much unprocessed, all natural food as I can. Not too much meat. I’ve been experimenting in the past year— I was a vegetarian for 6 months, flirted with veganism, and now I’m eating meat again and trying gluten-free (as much as I can). I don’t eat processed sugar at all anymore because I get headaches from it. Makes fruit and honey that much sweeter! I live next to an organic farm, and love to eat local as often as possible!
- Something people consider “healthy” that you think is anything but? Fake meat products. And I used to eat them All. The. Time. I think they are unhealthy for two reasons: 1) They are highly processed and full of weird stuff and 2) I think they are psychologically unhealthy. If you are trying to eat a healthier diet, you need to teach your body and mind to crave real, healthy food, not sub in fake, processed buffalo wings or chicken cutlets or burgers.
- Favorite food/health blog? Nutritionista for health! Also, I’m seriously addicted to Serious Eats, though it’s not really a health food blog… I think they have a fun, infectious love for food of all kinds, like me.
- Your go-to five-minute meal? Eggs, veggies and cheese in a corn or whole wheat tortilla.
- Perfect last meal? A classic French brasserie feast: start with escargot, artichokes and crusty bread. Then a gorgeous piece of trout or snapper over garlicky, buttery haricots verts and new potatoes. And of course, copious amounts of red wine.
- Favorite method of cooking and why? I sautee something everyday, but I love, love, love to roast under the broiler. It’s super easy and makes everything delicious.
- Craziest diet you’ve ever tried? Never really tried a diet, but in college I once started the Perricone Prescription the day my boyfriend left for three months abroad. Never try to start a diet on that day… I think I ended the evening crying into a tuna noodle casserole, and scrapped the idea the next day.
- Restaurant you’d go to every day if you could? Bar Tabac in Brooklyn, NY or Justine’s Brasserie in Austin, TX.
- Food/dish you’ve always wanted to learn how to cook, but haven’t? I really want to learn how to make fresh pasta… not sure how that’s going to go with my gluten-free kick…
- Dream dining companion? Jamie Oliver! I love his adorable British accent. We’d make risotto and talk about how bad processed food is for little kids.