boopabelle asked: What are the “worst” chemicals/additives in foods one should watch out for?
I love this question! It can be so daunting to read the label and analyze every single ingredient. But if there are a few ingredients you can watch for (and then avoid), that makes the process a bit easier.
Here are some of my red flags:
- Trans fat. On the label: partially hydrogenated oil (of any kind), shortening. There’s just nothing good at all about this nasty fat — it’s totally processed and only does bad things to your body (for one, it can lower good cholesterol and raise the bad).
- Sweetener. On the label: corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, sorbitol, maltitol, isomalt, maltodextrin, dextrose, glucose, fructose, maltose, aspartame, sucralose, sorbitol, saccharin, and others. Artificial sweeteners (the last four names on the list) can negatively impact metabolism and have been linked to headaches and other symptoms. Of course, unless you cut out sweet stuff completely, you’re going to want to eat some form of sugar at SOME point. Plain ol’ sugar, honey, or evaporated cane juice are slightly less processed options.
- MSG. On the label: monosodium glutamate, monopotassium glutamate, glutamic acid, vegetable protein extract, maltodextrin, carrageenan, and others (see this for a full list). MSG can cause headaches, nausea, edema, and burning sensations. Fun times!
- Benzoate preservatives. On the label: BHT, BHA, TBHQ. This chemical compound can actually affect estrogen balance and levels (a big no-no for women!).
- Brominated Vegetable Oil. On the label: BVO. I remember seeing this on the label of the Diet Mountain Dew I used to drink. It grosses me out so much now. This chemical can actually increase triglycerides and damage liver, testicles, thyroid, heart, and kidney. Plus it just sounds nasty!
- Any food ingredient with a color for the name (e.g., “Yellow #5). These additives have been linked to allergic reactions, rashes, and headaches. They can be particularly bad for kids.
Of course, there are other ingredients that won’t do you any favors. But avoiding those biggies is a huge step!